- This event has passed.
2-DAY Mastering Lean Product Development Workshop presented by Ron Mascitelli
Monday, August 26 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
$800 – $1000
The all new Mastering Lean Product Development Workshop provides a step-by-step methodology for integrating the powerful waste-eliminating tools of lean product development into any product development process.
This material is presented as a practical overview, with enough detail to help attendees identify critical improvements they should pursue and provide the first steps they should take to achieve their lean goals.
In the current economic climate, doing more with less
is a mandate for virtually any firm, particularly with respect to new product introductions. Unfortunately, much of the effort expended by product development teams is often unnecessary and potentially wasteful.
In many cases, less than half of a team member’s work day is actually spent creating value for their customers, and profits for their companies. Firms that have embraced the practical, waste-eliminating methods of Lean Product Development have reported up to 50 percent reduction in launch schedules, dramatic improvements in gross margin and enhanced customer satisfaction.
This workshop is based on the recently published book Mastering Lean Product Development, by Ronald Mascitelli, and is presented by the author. Participants will take away a practical plan for executing a real-world development project in less time, with higher margins, and with enhanced quality and customer value.
- How to energize your current development process through an event-driven, highly collaborative design methodology.
- A powerful new tool for connecting the voice-of-the-customer directly to product requirements.
- Identifying and mitigating risks to cost, schedule, and quality.
- Managing resource capacity in a multi-project environment.
- Lean Scheduling and constraint (bottleneck) management.
- The LPD Visual Workflow Management System.
- Enhancing productivity through Time-Slicing and Visual Communication.
Mastering Lean Product Development Workshop
A Practical Overview Agenda
Course Outline –
- Introduction to Lean Product Development
- Foundations for a Lean Development Process
2. The “Event-Driven” LPD Process
- What are “Events”
- An Event-Driven Development Process
- Preparation for Lean Product Development
3. Topics in Lean Product Development
Project Prioritization and Resource Capacity Management
- The A3 Business Case Brief
- Prioritization methods for a multi-project portfolio
- Arbitration of Resource Conflicts
- Effective management of finite development capacity
The Market Requirements Event
- Structure of Event
- The Market Requirements Brief
- The Market Positioning Statement
- Market Differentiation Tool
- Lean Voice-of-the-Customer Tool
- Prioritization of Features and Requirements
The Project Planning and Risk Mitigation Event
- Structure of Event
- Scoping of the Project
- Visual / collaborative Project Planning
- Developing a Resource / Capacity Plan
- Identifying and Prioritizing Project Risks
- Risk Mitigation Strategies
The Visual Workflow Management Process
- The Visual Project Board
- The Wall Gantt
- Stand-up Coordination Meetings
- Time-Slicing and “Project Time”
The Rapid Learning Cycle Event(s)
- Structure of Event
- Identifying Knowledge Gaps
- The A3-Based Knowledge Brief
- Step-by-Step Root Cause Analysis
- Identifying Alternative Solutions
- Planning and Implementation
Creating a Plan for Implementation
Upon completing this course, you should be able to:
- Dramatically accelerate the development of high-value new products.
- Reduce product cost through Toyota-based innovation and process preparation techniques.
- Improve the quality and efficiency of customer / team /management communication.
- Maximize the productivity of scarce human and capital resources.
- Develop a culture of discipline, value-focus, and intolerance of waste.
Who should attend:
Product-line managers, team leaders, task managers, functional managers, six-sigma blackbelts / green belts, improvement champions, operations and engineering managers, process owners, design engineers and all others with product development responsibilities.
Ronald Mascitelli, PMP (Project Management Professional, MS Solid State Physics, University of California, Los Angeles; BA Physics / Applied Mathematics, California State University, Fullerton) is the Founder and President of Technology Perspectives, is a recognized leader in the development of advanced methods for project management and product development, with an emphasis on eliminating non-value-added waste, maximizing team productivity, and enhancing profitability.
He presents his proprietary workshops and seminars internationally to public audiences, and has created company-specific training and deployment programs for over 200 leading firms in twenty countries, including Lockheed-Martin, The Volvo Group, Boston Scientific, Emerson, Edwards Lifesciences, Adidas, Intel, Boeing, Parker-Hannifin, ABB, Siemens, Briggs & Stratton, Delta Faucet, and Rockwell Automation / Allen-Bradley.
Mascitelli served as both Senior Scientist and Director of Research and Development for Hughes Electronics and the Santa Barbara Research Center. Since founding Technology Perspectives in 1994, has published over twenty papers and technical articles in major journals, including the International Journal of Technology Management and The Journal of Product Innovation Management, and is a contributing author for IEEE’s Technology Management Handbook.
He is the author of five books, including the critically acclaimed Building a Project-Driven Enterprise, The Lean Design Guidebook, The Lean Product Development Guidebook, and Mastering Lean Product Development.